Last night I was riding home in a taxi with Caitlin, Holley, and Maggie. We had just had a goodbye ice cream dinner with our CRA Debby, who is fantastic and leaving the NYU empire, so we all wanted to get our goodbyes in.
So we are driving home and we are all chatting and we're passing a road on our right - there's two men sitting on a scooter waiting to pull out, and for some reason they decided to pull out in front of us.
And then we hit them.
When I say hit, I mean it was a good hit. We saw them coming and our driver slammed on the breaks and I screamed and we all screamed (not for ice cream, we'd already gotten that), but we weren't able to stop fast enough. We ended up tapping them pretty hard, and they the scooter and the two men riding on it just toppled over onto the ground. One of the men got up right away and ran off the road, skipping a little like he'd hurt himself but he was smiling so I took that as my cue to start laughing hysterically. It's terrible, but I found it hilarious. Especially when a car drove by and the man in front leaned out the window, pumped his fist, and yelled at us "OH YEAH! THAT'S GHANA FOR YOU!"
The other guy and the driver yelled at each other for a bit and then the scooter man brought his scooter to the side of the road. He waved over our driver to stop and then I heard the word police and then I wanted to get out and take another cab - I didn't need a repeat of last week. Taxi drivers and policemen and I have too close a relationship. The driver gets out of the car and we are all trying to do the same but because some of the cabs here can be in pretty bad shape, no one's door would open except for mine, and when I tried to get out I wasn't allowed to. Then another man gets into the car and takes on the role of our new driver. The entire time this was happening I was either laughing or was panic stricken trying to get away from the police that may or may not be coming to arrest another of Caitlin and I's taxi drivers. The laughs started again and this time our new driver joined in, so I did not feel as heartless.
It was a lovely way to start a Saturday night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment